PayPal is arguably the world’s most popular online payment solution, and the same goes for MPESA in Kenya. And now that the two platforms have partnered to facilitate transfers, it’s possible to withdraw from PayPal to MPESA.
First, you must sign up for PayPal, then link your account to MPESA before you can withdraw. You’ll then need to log into your account through PayPal-mobilemoney.com/MPESA and click on withdraw from PayPal.
The withdrawal is easy when you’ve signed up for PayPal and linked your account to MPESA. If not, then you’ll have to go through these steps first.
Note that sometimes you may encounter some errors when trying to withdraw from MPESA, which will explain. Occasionally, you may be unable to link your MPESA account to PayPal, which I’ll help you fix.
Generally, here’s what we’ll cover:
- What is MPESA PayPal?
- How do you sign up for PayPal?
- How do you link PayPal to MPESA?
- Why can’t you link PayPal to MPESA?
- How do you withdraw from MPESA?
- Why can’t you withdraw from MPESA?
- How much can you withdraw from PayPal to MPESA?
- How long does it take to withdraw from PayPal to MPESA?
- What are the charges for withdrawing from PayPal to MPESA?
- How do you top up from PayPal to MPESA?
- What do you do if you don’t receive money from PayPal?
Let’s jump in!
What’s MPESA PayPal?
MPESA PayPal is a money transfer service by online payment giant PayPal and mobile money service provider MPESA. The service allows you to send and receive money from either payment platform, which makes it easy to shop online and get paid to do online jobs in Kenya.
How Do You Sign for PayPal?
You probably have an MPESA account, and what’s missing is a PayPal account (which is an email account, by the way, only that it can receive money). So, you don’t necessarily need to create another email account, as you can use the existing one.
Here are the steps to follow to sign up for PayPal MPESA:
- Visit PayPal-mobilemoney.com/MPESA and click on ‘Get Started’
- Wait for a registration form to pop up and fill it out, indicating your email, mobile number (MPESA registered), and names
- Create a password on that page and confirm it
- Wait to receive a code on your mobile number and use it to complete the sign-up
How to Link PayPal with MPESA?
PayPal and MPESA are separate entities, meaning you’ve to link them to allow transfers between them. You can do that using these steps:
- Visit PayPal-mobilemoney.com/MPESA and log into your PayPal account
- Remember you can skip the above step if you didn’t log out after signing up above
- Accept the terms of using the service and add your MPESA registered number
- Wait to receive a verification code and enter it to complete the linking
Your PayPal MPESA account is now ready for transfers and withdrawals from PayPal to MPESA
Why Am I Unable to Link PayPal to MPESA?
Sometimes you may fail to link your PayPal account to MPESA. More often than not, the reason is mismatching the names between PayPal and your MPESA.
If you don’t enter your names on PayPal as they appear on MPESA, you won’t be able to link your account to MPESA.
In such a case, edit your names or sign up for a different PayPal account using a different email account and ensure you use the names on your MPESA this time. Remember, your MPESA names are usually the names on your ID.
Basics on How to Withdraw Money from PayPal to MPESA?
It’s easy to withdraw from PayPal to MPESA if you’ve already linked the two. But if you haven’t, you’ll have to do that first. Let’s look at the two scenarios.
Old PayPal MPESA Customers
Follow these steps to withdraw from PayPal to MPESA if you’ve linked PayPal to MPESA:
- Go to PayPal-mobilemoney.com/MPESA and sign in using your PayPal login details
- Click on ‘Withdraw from PayPal,’ which is on the left tab
- Wait to view your PayPal balance in USD
- Enter the amount you want to withdraw in USD and click on continue to withdraw
- View the conversion into Kenya shillings and the processing time
- Click confirm to complete the online withdrawal
New Customers with Only a PayPal Account
If you only have a PayPal account that has received funds, but you haven’t linked it to MPESA, follow the steps to link it and withdraw funds in MPESA:
- Visit PayPal-mobilemoney.com/MPESA and log into your PayPal account
- Accept the terms and add your MPESA registered number
- Enter the code that you’ll receive on your mobile number to complete the linkage
- That will lead you to the withdrawal page, where you’ll need to click on ‘Withdraw from PayPal’
- Enter the amount you wish to withdraw after viewing the conversion in Ksh
- Click confirm to complete the money withdrawal
Why Can’t I Withdraw Money from PayPal to M-PESA?
Several errors may prevent you from withdrawing from PayPal to MPESA. They include:
- Failing to link the two accounts – You won’t be able to withdraw from PayPal to MPESA if you haven’t linked the two accounts. So, ensure you first link them before trying to make the withdrawal.
- Held payment – If you are a new user, PayPal may hold your payment until the sender confirms from their end. So, you may have to ask the sender to do that.
- Suspended account – PayPal sometimes suspends user accounts for what they consider a breach of their terms. If so, you need to log into your account and go to the Resolution center, where you’ll get some resolution steps to follow to have them lift the suspension.
- Withdrawal error – A withdrawal error pops up when withdrawing from PayPal without indicating the decimal point. So, if the decimal point doesn’t appear automatically, you’ll have to put it manually.
- Limited access – Sometimes, PayPal limits your account due to a dispute claim, being inactive for too long, or failing to prove your identity. Sadly, you cannot withdraw or send money with a limited PayPal account. You can find from PayPal why that’s the case once you log into your PayPal account.
- The transaction is under review – PayPal occasionally delays withdrawal for 1 – 2 days when they suspect fraud. Contact PayPal if two business days are over and your account is still under review.
How Much Can I Withdraw from PayPal to MPESA?
There’s no minimum amount to withdraw from PayPal to MPESA. However, you can withdraw up to Ksh 150,000 to MPESA per transaction and up to Ksh 300,000 per day.
So, your MPESA account should be able to contain up to Ksh 300,000 if you want to withdraw that much.
How Long Does It Take to Withdraw from PayPal to MPESA?
It usually takes 2 hours to withdraw from PayPal to MPESA. However, it may take up to 3 business days if your account is under review or something else causes a delay.
How Much Does It Cost to Withdraw from PayPal to MPESA?
PayPal to MPESA withdrawals usually attract a 3% fee, while top-ups attract a 4% fee. Typical MPESA transaction charges, however, apply to other MPESA transactions.
How Do I Top Up from MPESA to PayPal?
Sometimes you may want to top up your PayPal account using MPESA instead of withdrawing from it. It could be because you want to buy something online or pay a bill that requires you to do it via PayPal.
If so, here’s how to do it:
- First, sign up for a PayPal account if you haven’t done so
- Also, link the account to MPESA if you haven’t done so
- Then visit PayPal-mobilemoney.com/MPESA and log into your account
- Click the ‘Top Up Funds’ tab on the right
- Enter the amount you wish to top up to PayPal in USD
- Wait for the currency conversion to display and note down the amount in Ksh
- Go to Lipa Na MPESA on your mobile phone and select Pay Bill
- Enter the PayPal MPESA paybill number 800088, and then use your mobile number as the account number
- Enter the amount you noted earlier and the MPESA pin, and then send
What Should I Do If I Don’t Receive Money from PayPal?
Occasionally you may receive a confirmation message indicating that your transaction is being processed, but you fail to receive the money. If so, log into your PayPal account and visit the contacts page, where you’ll need to launch a complaint.
Remember, you’ll need to provide the transaction ID, which you can get under transaction history.
Generally, it’s seamless to withdraw from PayPal to MPESA once you link the two. Yes, there could be some withdrawal hiccups, but they are often fixable, and if you can’t do it, then PayPal can do it for you, albeit it may take time.
Remember that we also have PayPal-to-Equity transfers for Equity customers with PayPal accounts. So, if PayPal MPESA doesn’t cut it for you, then you can go for PayPal Equity or both, and if you have questions about these services, reach us on social media, and we’ll get back to you.