Most business guides will feature 10k to 50k business ventures as small, making it difficult to find your perfect investment with little money. Fortunately, this piece provides you with the best small business ideas in Kenya that you can start with even 1k.
With 1k to 5k, you can start a Fruit stand, laundry business, mitumba clothes, errand service, mobile hairdressing, freelance writing, affiliate marketing, publish e-books on Amazon, sell online courses, or tutor online.
Whether you’re a student or not, here is an exhaustive guide on
- Small profitable business ideas in Kenya
- What you require to set up your business
- How you can stand out from your business rivals
- The start-up capital and expected returns
Want to take an inside look?
Let’s get started!
The Best Small Business Ideas in Kenya With Little Capital.
In a hurry? Here’s a quick summary of the top small business ideas you can venture into in Kenya.
|Business Idea||Start-Up Capital in Kshs||Expected Return in Kshs|
|1. Fruit Stand||2,000||1,000 to 1,500 per day|
|2. Mobile Hairdessing||1,000||500 to 2,000 per day|
|3. Freelance Writing||3,000 to 5,000||1,000 to 5,000 per day|
|4. Errand Service||500||15,000 and above per month|
|5. Laundry Business||500||500 to 2,000 per day|
|6. Affiliate Marketing||0 to 50,000||2,000 to 200,000 per month|
|7. Selling Mitumba Clothes||1,000 to 5,000||500 to 1,000 per day per month|
|8. Publishing E-books||Free||35% to 70% royalty rate|
|9. Tutoring||1,000 and above||1,000 to 5,000 per day|
|10. Online Courses||1,000 and above||10,000 and above per month|
|11. Roasted Maize Business||2,000 to 3,000||500 to 1,500 per day|
1. Set Up a Fruit Stand
(Start-Up Capital Kshs 2,000)
It’s no longer a secret that groceries sell due to their daily demand in every house. And while most young people may want to start this business, they feel discouraged due to lack of capital.
You don’t have to save up to 20k to venture into the grocery business; you can set up a fruit stand and expand progressively.
Fruit Stand Business Essentials
To open a fruit stand business, you will need:
- A simple stand that may cost you around kshs 300 to 500 to rent
- The first stock that may cost between kshs 800 to kshs 1500
- A jerrycan of water and a small basin (pick from your house to cut cost)
A fruit stand business thrives when you offer excellent customer service and maintain a high level of hygiene. With this, you can expect to reap between kshs 1,000 to kshs 1,500 per day.
2. Become a Mobile Hairdresser
(Start-Up Capital Kshs 1,000)
With tight schedules and avoiding traffic, affluent people prefer having their hair done in their homes at their convenience because it saves time.
You can start this business by marketing your services to neighbors around you, then take flawless photos and post them online. This will sell you to your target audience and create a large clientele base all year round.
Mobile Hairdressing Business Essentials
Mobile hairdressing is among the most profitable small business ideas in Nairobi that you can start with:
- Hairdressing items such as combs and haircare products cost kshs 500
- A simple apron costing kshs 150
- Fare to your client’s location costing around kshs 300
Once your products are ready, provide top-notch services, leaving your clients looking great. They won’t forget this experience and will keep driving your business to reap kshs 500 to kshs 2,000 per day.
3. Become a Freelance Writer
(Start-Up Capital Kshs 3,000 – Kshs 5,000)
Freelance writing is one of the best small business ideas in Kenya for students. Reason? Most students usually have essential items and skills like a laptop and English writing.
If you’re looking for a business that will allow you to juggle your studies and earn good money, exploring this field is ideal for you. Moreover, you can make between kshs 1,000 and kshs 5,000 per day.
Freelance Writing Essentials
To become a freelance writer, if you already have a laptop, you will need the following:
- Stable internet costing kshs 1,000 per month
- Writing training costing kshs 3000
- Good English writing skills
Thriving in this field demands excellent marketing and top-notch writing skills. Again, always bid to ensure a constant flow of work and keep posted on the trends such as AI and how you can manage and thrive with their existence.
4. Start an Errand Service
(Start-Up Capital Kshs 500)
An errand service allows you to perform tasks for other people, and you get paid in exchange for your time. Usually, it requires trust building and doing exactly as your client desires.
For instance, they can send you to buy them seats or pick items in the market. In a month, you can make kshs 15,000 and above, depending on the type of errands you run.
Errand Service Business Essentials
To venture into the errand service business, you will need:
- Internet for marketing your services costing around kshs 100
- Fare to the specific location costing around ksh 200(varies)
You should establish a group of people who need your services to succeed in errand service. Then, sell your service to them and deliver excellent outcomes. They will refer you to their friends or close family.
5. Start a Laundry Business
(Start-Up Capital Kshs 500)
There’s a need for regular house and clothes cleaning services as people try to cut house manager costs. This means you can venture into the laundry business and expand progressively.
Laundry Business Essentials
To start a laundry business, you will need:
- Fare to the client’s location
- Laundry products, although most clients will provide
- Internet to market your service
Trustworthiness and excellent services are the game-changers in this business. If you can stick to providing top-quality cleaning services and maintain integrity, your clients will keep coming back.
With this, you will enjoy daily returns of between kshs 500 to kshs 2,000 per day. This is scalable as you continue to recruit more cleaners consistently.
6. Venture into Affiliate Marketing
(Start-Up Capital Kshs 0 to 50,000)
Earlier, affiliate marketing was viewed as a costly investment requiring a website and constant financing. However, it has become simplified, and you can do it too, depending on your state.
You can perform affiliate marketing through platforms like Quora, social media, Medium, and websites. This will make you between kshs 2,000 to 200,000 per month.
Affiliate Marketing Essentials
- The medium of marketing (website, YouTube, social media, Medium, blog, or email)
- Stable internet costing around kshs 1,000 per month
- Quality content if you’re using a website costing around kshs 30,000 if you’re not doing it yourself
To thrive in affiliate marketing, you should consistently provide quality content. Then, establish yourself as an authority in a specific niche for your target audience to trust you when you recommend a product.
7. Sell Mitumba Clothes
(Start-Up Capital Kshs 1,000 – 5,000)
If you’re looking for a business to start with 3k in Kenya, selling mitumba clothes is a great option. Start by establishing which line of clothes is in high demand in your place, for instance, babies, teenagers, or women’s attires.
Then, find a good dealer in places like Gikomba and choose camera clothes to resell in your area. This will earn you between kshs 500 to kshs 1,000 daily.
Mitumba Clothes Business Essentials
To start a Mitumba clothes business, you need the following:
- Fare to and from the dealer’s place costing around kshs 500
- The first stock costing around kshs 1500 to kshs 4,000
Once you get your stock ready, you can start selling them around your estate. If your clients ask for a specific attire, bring it to them when you go for your following stock.
This will create a good rapport between you and them, and they can rely on you whenever they want to buy specific clothes.
8. Publishing E-books on Amazon
(Start-Up Capital Free)
Are you a great storyteller, or do you boast an exceptional wealth of information on a specific topic?
If yes, writing an ebook can earn you a great outcome. Typically, publishing your book on Amazon is free, and then you start generating 35% to 70% of the royalty rates of your book.
Publishing ebook Essentials
To publish an ebook on Amazon, you will need to:
- Write a story or a niche-specific book
- Edit your content thoroughly to ensure it follows the proper format and grammar requirements
- Design a book cover(you can use Canva or hire someone if you are able)
Thriving in ebook selling demands top-quality content and appealing storytelling.
9. Become a Tutor
(Start-Up Capital Kshs 1,000 and above)
Tutoring is not limited to academic subjects in this era. This means you can coach or instruct people in different fields, including make-up, sports like tennis or swimming, music, and instruments.
So, what are you best at? This can earn you between kshs 1,000 and kshs 5,000 per day.
To become a tutor, you will need the following:
- The related products, items, or instruments
- A phone or personal computer to train online(optional)
- Fare to the training location
Deliver the best to your students to attract more clients to your service. You can also establish a YouTube channel to increase your income level.
10. Sell Online Courses
(Start-Up Capital Kshs 1,000 and above)
With more people looking forward to establishing side hustles to increase their income, learning a new skill is core in this journey.
As a result, creating a course and selling it online will allow you to help them while earning kshs 10,000 and above. This value varies depending on where you sell, your marketing strategy, and your price tag.
Online Course Essentials
To sell an online course, you will need:
- To create a course(writing course, web development, or digital marketing, among others)
- Find a suitable platform to market your course, for instance, social media or a marketplace like Udemy.
- Email address for effective communication between you and your students
- Stable internet
11. Sell Roasted Maize
(Start-Up Capital Kshs 2,000 – Kshs 3,000)
Roasted maize is a favorite snack we buy regularly. Setting up a roasted maize stand strategically will attract numerous customers to your business.
The good thing about this business is you can allocate a few hours to it after work. Typically, this business gives you a profit of between kshs 500 to 1,500 daily.
Roasted Maize Business Essentials
- Maize roasting stand costing around kshs 1000
- A seat costing around kshs 500
- Charcoal costs around kshs 50 per gallon
- Fresh maize (the price varies with seasons) from kshs 15 per cob
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which small business is the most profitable in Kenya?
The most profitable businesses in Kenya include grocery stores, fruit stand, car wash, farming, affiliate marketing, and hairdressing.
2. How can I make 5k daily in Kenya?
You can make 5k daily in Kenya through affiliate marketing, becoming a consultant, freelancing, and investing in real estate.
3. Are there unique business ideas in Kenya with little capital?
Yes, you can establish a lunch delivery service, mobile nail service, and coffee business with little capital.
Start Your Small Business To Achieve Your Financial Goals!
The best small business ideas in Kenya enable you to accomplish your financial goals even with little capital. Whether you’re a student or not, you can establish one of these businesses and become financially free.
So, which of the above ideas do you think is the most suitable for you?