Venturing into untapped business ideas in Kenya guarantees a consistently high demand for your products or services. But what are these unique business ideas in Kenya?
The main untapped business ideas in Kenya are interior design, organic food, e-commerce business, marketing agency, talent acquisition, career coaching, wine and spirits delivery, creative art, shelf space rentals, and web designing.
This post will explore the following areas:
- Unique business ideas with varying start-up capital,
- What you need to start and thrive in such a business,
- How to gain a competitive advantage in the market.
Let’s delve in!
10 Creative Untapped Business Ideas in Kenya To Consider Starting
In a rush? Here is a quick highlight of the unique business ideas in Kenya.
|Business Idea||Start-Up Capital||Expected Monthly Returns|
|1. Organic Food Shop||Kshs 50,000 – Kshs 100,000||Kshs 50,000 and above|
|2. Home Decor||Kshs 20,000||Kshs 50,000 and above|
|3. E-commerce Business||Kshs 50,000||Kshs 15,000 – Kshs 100,000|
|4. Talent Acquisition||Kshs 100,000||Kshs 100,000 and above|
|5. Rent a Shelf||Kshs 50,000 and above||Kshs 15,000 – Kshs 100,000|
|6. Marketing Services||Kshs 40,000 – Kshs 200,000||Kshs 100,000 – Kshs 200,000|
|7. Web and Graphic Design||Kshs 5,000 – Kshs 50,000||Kshs 50,000 – Kshs 500,000|
|8. Career Coaching||Kshs 30,000 – Kshs 100,000||Kshs 100,000 and above|
|9. Wines and Spirits Delivery||Kshs 100,000 and above||Kshs 150,000 and above|
|10. Creative Art||Kshs 5,000 – Kshs 100,000||Kshs 10,000 – Kshs 200,000|
1. Open an Organic Food Shop
(Initial Capital Kshs 50,000 – Kshs 100,000)
Kenyans are becoming more aware of what they eat! In November 2022, the Star revealed that 57% of Kenyans did not support GMO food introduction into the country.
As a result, depending on your capacity, opening an organic food shop would rake in Kshs 50,000 and above as organic food is in high demand.
Organic Food Shop Requirements
- Rental space (varies with location and your preferences)
- Shelves for displaying food costing around Kshs 5,000
- License (varies with the county)
- First stock costing ½ or ¾ of your initial capital
- Packaging items
Tip: To increase your profitability, you should adopt superior branding in your packaging. And don’t forget to always sell quality and 100% organic foods.
2. Offer Home Decor Services
(Initial Capital Kshs 20,000)
The rise of home glam challenges has created a need for home decor services. With most homeowners facing limited interior design knowledge, they need your help as a home decor enthusiast or professional.
Home Decor Business Requirements
To establish a home decor business, you’ll require:
- Single business permit
- NCA license
- KRA PIN certificate
- Marketing may cost you around Kshs 3,000 to Kshs 5,000, depending on your budget
- A team (you can start with one apprentice)
Tip: Always deliver the best to your customers and take perfect shots for marketing. A typical platform that will attract a massive audience is social media accounts like Facebook.
3. Set Up an E-commerce Business
(Initial Capital Kshs 50,000)
The online world is taking the globe by storm, from business to linking people with a click of a button. You can use this and put your products or services out there.
Platforms like Wix and Shopify allow you to build a lucrative online business. With this, you can earn between Kshs 15,000 and Kshs 100,000 monthly.
E-commerce Business Requirements
Depending on the platform you use, you will need the following:
- A theme if you’re using Shopify
- A website for Wix costing around kshs 35,000
- Set up your product images and prices
- Choose a payment method
- Establish seamless delivery logistics(varies depending on your budget)
Tip: Build trust by delivering what you display on time. Also, ensure that your clients are satisfied by providing top-quality products to keep them coming back.
4. Provide Talent Acquisition Services
(Initial Capital Kshs 100,000)
The hiring process is time-consuming and expensive. As a result, companies are looking for alternative, cost-effective talent acquisition methods.
This makes talent acquisition services one of Kenya’s most lucrative small, unique business ideas. The income level for this business starts from Kshs 100,000 per month.
Talent Acquisition Business Requirements
So, what do you need to establish a successful business?
- Business Registration Certificate from Kshs 10,650 to Kshs 25,000
- KRA PIN certificate is usually free
- Tax compliance certificates are usually free
- County government license(varies with the county)
- Human resource management certificate from at least one of the employees
- Small office space
Tip: Investing in platforms such as LinkedIn will help you source for the best candidates. Reason? This platform displays almost all the educational and work experience of your prospect audience.
5. Offer Rental Shelf Spaces
(Initial Capital Kshs 50,000 and above)
Rent-a-shelf is becoming the in thing, with more individuals trying to establish side hustles that don’t require their presence. You can reap hugely from this gap by renting a space and setting up multiple shelf spaces to rent out.
With the right carpenter, you can maximize the number of shelves you get and earn between Kshs 15,000 and Kshs 100,000 per month.
Rental Shelf Business Requirements
To establish a successful rental shelf business, you will require the following:
- A rental space in a strategic location varies depending on your area
- A carpenter to create functional and appealing shelves may cost you around kshs 25,000
- An apprentice to help you run the shop
- Arrange for delivery services
- Marketing may cost you kshs 5,000
Tip: When starting this business, having your products is usually advantageous. Why? This will help you earn before getting clients to rent the rest of the shelves.
6. Start a Marketing Business
(Initial Capital Kshs 40,000 – kshs 200,000)
According to Statista, Kenya’s internet advertising revenue stood at kshs 3.4 trillion in 2020. This figure was estimated to increase at a rate of 7.7% until 2025.
Venturing into marketing means you will earn between Kshs 100,000 and Kshs 200,000 in your initial stages. This can increase depending on your growth strategy in the long run.
Marketing Business Requirements
To start a successful marketing business, you will need:
- A niche: For example, retail stores, restaurants, or B2B service providers
- Target market: Classify in terms of age group, location, their chilling spots(social media)
- The type of marketing service you provide(SEO or social media management)
- A team
- Office space
If you’re working on a tight budget like kshs 30,000, starting this fast-growing business in Kenya will demand you to operate online. This will cut rental charges and related recurrent monthly expenditures.
Tip: Your key to success in this field is focusing on your client’s results. Then, take screenshots of what you’ve achieved for your clients so you can cold pitch using this as proof.
7. Provide Web and Graphic Design Services
(Initial Capital Kshs 5,000 – kshs 50,000)
Searching for small business ideas in Kenya to start with little capital? Web and Graphic design is an ideal option for you.
Reason? You can operate remotely and earn big bucks from within and outside the country. You can earn between Kshs 50,000 and Kshs 500,000 per month, depending on how much time you invest in your business.
Web and Graphic Design Requirements
To establish a web and graphic design business, you will require the following:
- Portfolio to showcase your work experience
- Branding: Create a website with a unique logo and name for your business
- Marketing: Use social media and SEO to market your services
Tip: When starting, explore platforms such as Upwork, Fiverr, and Freelancer to secure entry-level gigs. Then, proceed to establish yourself as an authority in this field.
8. Open a Career Coaching Company
(Initial Capital Kshs 30,000 – kshs 100,000)
The mismatch between graduates and talent requirements in the job market is alarming. Thanks to career coaching, professionals can help link talent to suitable company positions.
Moreover, it’s a lucrative space that provides you with a monthly income of Kshs 100,000 and above per month.
Career Coaching Company Requirements
To establish a successful career coaching business, you will need the following:
- Coaching packages
- A website and brand around your business which may cost you around Kshs 25,000 and above, depending on the professional you hire.
- Marketing to attract your target audience may cost you around Kshs 5,000
- Workplace: Can either be online or in an office.
Tip: To thrive in this field, you must enhance your online presence through SEO and sharing quality content on your social media platforms (Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter accounts).
9. Start an Online Wine and Spirits Delivery
(Initial Capital Kshs 100,000 and above)
Countable companies have ventured into this business and are reaping massive benefits.
You can explore this field and earn kshs 150,000 and above per month. All you need to do is set up your enterprise and market yourself to start supplying the great demand.
Wine and Spirits Delivery Business
You will need the following to start a wine and spirits business:
- A reliable source or own a wine and spirits store (Kshs 100,000)
- Delivery: You can hire one delivery person before the business grows,
- Legal documents will cost you Kshs 7,000 if you decide to have a physical store,
Tip: Making your company and services available fast and easy online will allow you to serve more people, boosting your sales. Additionally, combining a physical wine and spirit shop with online delivery will streamline your services as you will enjoy a constant supply.
10. Venture into the Creative Art Business
(Initial Capital Kshs 5,000 – kshs 100,000)
Creative art is a versatile field that allows you to explore numerous options, depending on your passion. Whether you like drawing, knitting, DIY furniture, or beadwork, you can start a profitable business.
Moreover, the pay is great, usually between Kshs 10,000 and Kshs 200,000. The better you get at your art and the more people you reach, you enjoy great sales and profits.
Creative Art Business Requirements:
To start this business in Kenya, you will need:
- First stock (varies depending on your line of specialization)
- Marketing: Networking, social media, and website
- Delivery logistics
- Register a payment method
- Operate remotely or in a physical location
Tip: To succeed in this business, you have to stand out from the rest of the professionals by delivering top-quality products. Always ensure you are updated on the trends in your field.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Businesses are Booming in Kenya?
Marketing, delivery, consulting, and social media management are the fastest-growing businesses in Kenya.
2. What Business Can I Start with Kshs 50,000?
With 50k, you can start a digital marketing agency, farming, car wash, Mitumba, fast food joint, or mini importation business. You can also explore other unique 50k profitable ventures.
3. What Sells Fastest in Kenya?
Automobile spares, cosmetics, jewelry and accessories, kitchenware, wristwatches, home and living, kids, and oral products and services are selling faster in Kenya.
Find your Niche, Cent Warrior!
Establishing an ideal option from numerous untapped business ideas in Kenya can be an uphill task. Thanks to the short list of lucrative ventures, you can explore to enjoy massive financial benefits.
Regardless of the amount of cash you have, you can start a business and be your own boss.
Which of these business ideas do you find most suitable?